Orange Background

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Feed a Cold Starve a Fever

I started a position at work this week which required me to spend most of Monday and Tuesday doing leadership training. There was talk about coaching and synergy and all the usual stuff, but the thing that stuck out to me most was when it talked about solving the root problem, not just the symptoms. Suddenly I had an epiphany about a few personal problems--sicknesses, if you will--that I have had for the last few months.
I had recently acted in a way that I thought would cure me of one of these sicknesses. Afterward I felt fabulously free. Later, I felt the same way I had before. It wasn't regret for what I had done, but the free feeling was gone. I realized that I had treated a symptom of a greater problem. By relieving the tension and stress of the biggest symptom I had in no way cured myself.
I'm glad that I've recognized this, but it makes me worried that this is more of a chronic illness than I had previously realized. I thought it was a cold, so I feasted, only to wake up sick again. That leaves me with a fever, I guess. The problem is I'm more prone to be a glutton than to starve myself. It all just tastes so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment