I was listening to some music today--some of my favorite songs from musicals--and I found a common thread that I hated.
"there are dreams that can not be, there are storms we can not weather"
"I had a dream my life would be so different from this hell I'm living... life has killed the dream I dreamed."
"then I was young and unafraid and dreams were made and used and wasted"
"But the tigers come at night with their voices soft as thunder as they tear your hope apart as they turn your dream to shame"
"as life goes by romantic dreams must die so i bid mine goodbye and never knew so close was waiting"
"don't dream too far don't lose sight of who you are"
"every so often we long to steal to the land of what might have been, but that doesn't soften the ache we feel when reality sets back in"
"don't wish, don't start wishing only wounds the heart"
Why is it so bad to dream and wish and hope? I believe in hoping. I believe in dreaming. I believe in wishing. I believe in doing things to make those hopes and dreams and wishes come true, too. But what magic, what romance, what excitement is left in life if you give all of that up? It's not childish--it's imagination. Wishing and hoping for things is what makes us alive. When you have no hope in anything, when you have no dreams or goals, when you have nothing left to wish for yourself or anyone else you've lost the spark that makes life worth living. Every day is full of possibilities. Miracles are real. Good is all around you or ready to be made wherever you go. In conference President Monson said the future is as bright as your faith. Faith is hope.
"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams you will lose your heartache. Whatever you wish for you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true."
It sounds naive and stupid and childish--like I think my life should be a fairy tale. I don't. I don't want the prince and the white horse and all that. What I know for sure is that hoping and wishing and dreaming has brought me out of my darkest moments and led me to my brightest ones.
"if your heart is in your dream no request is too extreme, when you wish upon a star as dreamers do"
If your heart is truly in it, you'll work for it while you wish. If you have no desire or dream of getting what you desire, why would you work toward it at all?
I believe in wishing and dreaming and hoping.
No comments:
Post a Comment