Orange Background

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dancing It Out vs. Dancing Through Life

I love the musical Wicked, but that's beside the point. There are some people who really do get to dance through life. People who get things handed to them, people who put in some effort and reap the enormous benefits. People who work hard and have the light of good fortune shining brightly upon them. Whether they elegantly waltz, sensually salsa, or pointedly pop'n'lock--they're dancing through life all the same.

Then there are some of us who have to dance it out. Life happens. Stress comes. For me, one of the only ways I can deal with it is to dance. Don't get me wrong... I dance when I'm happy too, or just because I like to move my hips, but dancing can be a huge relief too. I also clean when I'm stressed. So, if you peak through my blinds, you might find me doing the twist while I wash the dishes or twirling around and getting caught in the vacuum cord. From Van Halen to Missy Elliot, if it's got a good beat and I've got some watts behind it dancing to it makes me feel better. Pent-up energy, sexual tension, stifled screams can all be let out while I jump up and down and shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Sometimes, with my body so preoccupied and intoxicated by the rhythm, my mind is free to either let go completely of anything thought ailing me or to reach a level of clarity comparable to that reached by meditation. Either way, dancing it out always leave me feeling better--like a runner's high.

It sucks not to be one of those people who gets to dance through, but getting to dance things out to get through life is something I wouldn't trade for a trouble-free tango. PLUS it probably burns more calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment