“Feed the birds, tuppence a bag, tuppence, tuppence, tupppence a bag.” These Mary Poppins bedtime lyrics carry a warm, fuzzy feeling with them for many children. One might even venture that they are “practically perfect in every way.” They calmed Jane and Michael and, I suppose, you’d expect that they hold the same tender place in my heart. WRONG! I’ve never heard a more terror-provoking song in my life. This one goes right down in the books as a nightmare cleverly hidden by rhyme and innocent voices next to Ring-Around the Rosie (You know, the jolly, dance-accompanied nursery rhyme about the Bubonic plague!).
I shall forever remember the horror and anticipatory dread that filled my soul on the day our study abroad group got to tour
The Plan: Eat anything a bird might even think about eating inside in the catacombs of the basement, then, very, very reluctantly meet the rest of the group on the stairs.
ü Eat pita.
ü Crackers.
ü Crisps.
ü Cover head.
ü Pray.
With every step of the plan enacted and the designated meeting time drawing nearer and nearer by the second, I located my inhaler in my pack and headed out into the sunshine to face my inevitable doom—death by bird.
I spent the next 15 minutes surrounded by my friends feeding birds and beckoning them closer as I sat hugging my knees to my chest and my hood over my head haunted by bad experiences. My earliest memory of being attacked by a bird was when I was about four years old, at some sort of farm or petting zoo with a lot of my extended family. My older cousins had been tormenting a turkey. At this point in my life, dogs were the only every-day animals that scared me and I was wandering around the other birds not yet aware of the potential danger of fraternizing with foul fowl.
As the giant, walking-Pilgrim-dinner came squawking around the corner, I was the innocent victim of a livid bipedal, warm-blooded, oviparous vertebrate animal. I was knocked off my feet with one swift blow and then he started pecking at me. I was dirty and hurt and traumatized for life.
One of my particularly scarring attacks happened when I was 18, on a date in
Another time, I was walking down the streets of
Some of my most harrowing encounters have not ended in attacks, though the potential was there, and I was saved by my own paranoid reactions of covering my head or screaming as I run under some cover. Many people, especially those nearest and dearest to me, find great joy in seeing me feel scared and laugh at the trauma that a near-death experience with birds puts me through.
When our study abroad group first arrived in
Page 136 of Fodor’s Guide to London 2007 read, “Don’t get too close to the ravens: they are prone to pecking and not particularly fond of humans, unless you are the Tower’s Raven Master.” That’s reassuring! I really want to wander around the tower green with birds that are PRONE to pecking. A frequent victim and attack ravens—not my idea of a winning combination! The book goes on to describe the ravens’ diet of blood-soaked biscuits and meat. These black, ominous flesh-eaters are also described as “territorial.” Add to all of that my previous history of attacks and the fact that everyone is out to get obnoxious American tourists. I knew I was doomed!
Thankfully, I spent most of the afternoon without seeing any of the ravens, but sure enough some crazy tourists started throwing bread and a larger-than-life raven swooped past my head too close for comfort. I took shelter in the Waterloo Barracks. It seemed like my safest bet because of the added security surrounding the crown jewels. As an ode to my terror and to one of my favorite American authors, I penned my own version of “The Raven.”
Full of feathers, always squawking at my golden head come knocking
Devils that delight in flocking to terrorize me by the shore,
O’er my head they’re always plunging, etern’ly threat’ning with their lunging
Horrid monsters hov’ring, waiting for a chance to peck my head till sore
‘Will it ever stop?’ I ask, ‘Will I e’er be fearless out of doors?’
Quoth the raven, ‘Nevermore.’
People call my fear irrational and a lot of people get good laughs out of my reactions. I personally find the fear completely rational: birds have attacked me more than once and, therefore, I am afraid of it happening again. To me, unless they’ve actually been trapped in a small space before, someone who is claustrophobic has more cause for being called irrational than I do. So, I feel completely justified in covering my head when flocks come flapping over head, waiting outside as my friends tour a bird house at the zoo, and walking a half block out of my way to avoid the duck pond on the south end of campus.
No comments:
Post a Comment