There is a line in the first Gidget movie when Gidget runs her fingers along her book shelf and says something like, "All my life I've found the answer to all of my problems in these books. But who wants to solve their love life with poison or a dagger?" I just like to think she didn't have enough books. Whenever something bad happens or something happy happens, my first instinct is to think of something I've read and make connections. That's one of the reasons I love to read books over and over again. When you bring new life experience into the book, it because new and familiar all at the same time. The world of books is magical in that way. I was up a lot of the night reading. Thank goodness for GoogleBooks because most of my library is in Maryland right now. I took a detour into a few movie scripts too.
L.M. Montgomery has a way of helping me get lost in the language. I have a special kinship with Anne Shirley--but I think most girls feel that way. Rugby is my one true love that has managed to stick around through my college years. So, naturally, my rugby ball's name is Gilbert--it's a fun play on words because that's also the brand of rugby ball he happens to be. :) I immediately turned to Anne of the Island. I thought of Schrodinger's cat experiment model and Anne's thoughts about possibilities. When the possibility of something better enters your mind, whatever you have at present--no matter how wonderful it might be--just doesn't seem good enough anymore. L.M.M. speaks about it in terms of love, but I think it can be applied to more than that. "The rose of love made the blossom of friendship pale and scentless by contrast."
The Great Gatsby--what a fabulous book! If we've ever talked about this book, you know how I feel about the color symbolism alone.... it is amazing!!!!! If I ever teach high school English, you KNOW my students will be reading this!!!! Nick says, "tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further... So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." Wow. It's rather pessimistic in a way, especially in comparison to my post on "Come What May, and Love It," but it spoke to me last night. I was thinking a lot about how our pasts never leave us--they are part of us now. We wouldn't be the people we are today without all of our yesterdays. I think some people do get caught in their pasts. Strike that. I know we ALL do sometimes. Sometimes we are in positions where we are going against the current and, as we try to move forward, we are pushed back into our pasts.
ok sooooo I might have been watching this movie and I might have changed the words a little... but it's been a long night and I think a little cheesy, teeny-bopper poetic license is permissible under the circumstances. Bear with me or skip ahead haha just be forewarned that I indulged my girly side last night... weird.
L.M. Montgomery has a way of helping me get lost in the language. I have a special kinship with Anne Shirley--but I think most girls feel that way. Rugby is my one true love that has managed to stick around through my college years. So, naturally, my rugby ball's name is Gilbert--it's a fun play on words because that's also the brand of rugby ball he happens to be. :) I immediately turned to Anne of the Island. I thought of Schrodinger's cat experiment model and Anne's thoughts about possibilities. When the possibility of something better enters your mind, whatever you have at present--no matter how wonderful it might be--just doesn't seem good enough anymore. L.M.M. speaks about it in terms of love, but I think it can be applied to more than that. "The rose of love made the blossom of friendship pale and scentless by contrast."
The Great Gatsby--what a fabulous book! If we've ever talked about this book, you know how I feel about the color symbolism alone.... it is amazing!!!!! If I ever teach high school English, you KNOW my students will be reading this!!!! Nick says, "tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further... So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." Wow. It's rather pessimistic in a way, especially in comparison to my post on "Come What May, and Love It," but it spoke to me last night. I was thinking a lot about how our pasts never leave us--they are part of us now. We wouldn't be the people we are today without all of our yesterdays. I think some people do get caught in their pasts. Strike that. I know we ALL do sometimes. Sometimes we are in positions where we are going against the current and, as we try to move forward, we are pushed back into our pasts.
ok sooooo I might have been watching this movie and I might have changed the words a little... but it's been a long night and I think a little cheesy, teeny-bopper poetic license is permissible under the circumstances. Bear with me or skip ahead haha just be forewarned that I indulged my girly side last night... weird.
I hate the way you talk to me
And the goofy things you wear.
I hate the way you win at cards
I hate it when you stare.
I hate you sleeping on my couch
And the way you read my mind.
I hate you so much it makes me sick.
It even makes me rhyme.
I hate the way you're always right.
I hate it when you lie.
I hate it when you make me laugh;
Even worse when you make me cry.
I hate it when you're not around
And the fact that you didn't call,
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you;
Not even close;
Not even a little bit;
Not even at all.
Ok, now forget I was being such a teenage girl. I don't think I indulged
that side of myself enough when I was a teenage girl to get it out
of my system completely haha.
Back to books.
The other night someone quoted Shakespeare to me. I found
it comforting, but now I'm not so sure I should have.
"Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more.
Men were deceivers ever. One foot
in sea and one on shore, to one
thing constant never. Then sigh
not so but let them go and be you
blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds
of woe into hey nonny nonny."
Enough said.
So back to "Come What May, And Love It" and back to
Anne of the Island. Learn to laugh! Professor Woodleigh says,
"Humor is the spiciest condiment in the feast of existence.
Laugh at your mistakes, but learn from them;
joke over your troubles, but gather strength in them;
make a jest of your difficulties, but overcome them."
Today it's time to laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment