Orange Background

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Festival of Colors

So yesterday had a bunch of highs and lows. I was so excited to FINALLY get to go to the festival of colors. Rugby and work had managed to keep me from it for 4 years, but I had magically avoided any obligations this Saturday that would prevent me from going. So I thought. It turns out that going on a big group date to the festival wasn't my sure-fire way to make it. I was the last one picked up--almost 2 hours late (I KNOW!) and we got stuck in traffic. I almost cried when I saw everyone already leaving covered in chalk. We decided to go check it out anyway. As we approached the temple we found out they had sold out fo chalk and started the throwing earlier than scheduled. There was a little consolation though. My cousin Mandy and I ran away from our dates through the crowd finding people who still had chalk and begging them to throw it on us. We stayed to mosh and rock out to the Krishna band. Every time someone had some chalk left, a huge cloud would go up in the air and the crowd would push into it violently. Mandy and I got pretty good and getting chalked up. I say it's all the punk concert experience. Anyway, after all of that and a rather awkward encounter with a certain party of Marylanders, we went out for sushi. This is where it gets really good. My date had never had sushi and didn't like it so I basically got to eat three long rolls all by my self! I think my favorite part fo the night was when I got in the shower and the colors slowly melted off my body. I watched entranced as first a muddy purple from my feet and legs washed away. Then the pink from my neck and shoulders, the orange and green from my face and hair were next. Finally, the last bit of yellow swirled down the drain. It was magical. Ironically, it was the yellow paint that was still stuck in my hair this morning. After washing it two more times, I can report that it is mostly gone. I'm torn between relief and sadness at the fact that it washed out. Yellow chalk--mi manchi!

1 comment: