Orange Background

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Parsons Dance Again

Ok so I just got back from a run and I have way too much energy to be sitting here and writing or reading even though those are number 2 and number 3 on my list of what I'd (realistically) like to be doing right now. Parsons dance was awesome! The video for CAUGHT doesn't give it justice. It was much more awe-inspiring in person. If the sheer athleticism of it wasn't enough, the silence killed me! Here this man in flipping in the air and running around a huge stage, trying to hit marks for the strobe lights and we NEVER heard him land or run or anything! The illusion was incredible! The dancing was sensual and romantic from the start. It was modern, but the roots and hints of traditional dance were evident in every movement. It wasn't like most modern dance I've seen. it was more dance than bending and twisting. It reminded me of something I think Picasso said (correct me if I'm wrong). Something about having to learn the rules of painting before you could break them. (or maybe it was Monet?). Anyway, the point is that you can see the evidence of old techniques in their new art. I saw that in their choreography. I especially loved the last number with the Earth, Wind, & Fire medly. Who knew dancing disco could be sexy? And on a slightly unrelated note, hearing "September" always makes me want to cha-cha [or cha-cha-cha ;)] because we danced to it in 180 last year.

2 comments:

  1. I went to that concert too! AMAZING, right?! Mmmm I love dancing. :D We got to take a master class from the Parson Company. INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete